Einar Jónsson Museum

About the place
Einar Jónsson (1874–1954) was Iceland's first sculptor, and around 1916 he designed this building himself: workshop, apartment and rooms for his own mythology under one roof. He named it Hnitbjörg after a rock fortress from Norse legend. The house opened to the public in 1923, and the sculptor lived upstairs with his wife Anna for decades. Inside, angels wrestle giants in plaster and bronze, room by bold-coloured room. The garden behind never closes.
undefined block
undefined block
undefined block
undefined block








